Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nick's new program

Nick has a new program. It's triple retrieval(TR). He has been doing double retrieval(DR) out of chair now and this TR is done in the chair. In the chair means that he does not have to move out of his chair to get the objects. So what's exactly DR ot TR? For double retrieval, it actually means that the kids have to listen to the 2 objects that i want and get it for me For example: I would say "Get me spiderman and batman". The kids have to pay attention and get it according to the what i say first. AS for TR, it basically means to get 3 objects so that also means that the kids have to pay real attention and remember it in order.

You must be wondering what the real function of DR and TR is. Imagine this: what would happen to you if there's no order in your life? I think it'll be chaotic. Also, we need to follow a certain order to do things. Just take wearing shoes for example, we cant wear the shoes first and then wear the socks. And in our normal daily life, we also needs to listen to lots of instructions, remember them and do it.

In a nutshell, DR and TR teache the ASD kids to be attentive and train their memory and also teach them to do things in order=)

So let's talk about how Nick fair for his DR and TR. He did pretty well for DR. He used to be really bad at this. He would just grab the first object without waiting for me to finish what i said. And if i stopped him, he would scratch me. This is how bad he was at the beginning. But now, he'll wait for me to finish saying my statement. TR was not that good now cause it's a new program and he has to listen and remember 3 objects now. This may be hard as he needs to pay real attention. I'm prompting him quite a lot now. I would say the 1st object first and when he touched the 1st object, i would then say the 2nd and the 3rd objects. He did pretty well with this prompt. Hopefully, i'll be able to fade the prompt soon=)

No comments: